Review: This Is Where It Ends ( NO spoilers!)

by - oktober 16, 2018




Title: This Is Where It Ends ( or in dutch: 54   Minuten)
Author: Marieke Nijkamp
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Pages: 320
Date read: 12 October 2018
Format: Paperback

My first thought on closing This Is Where It Ends could be summed up in three words.

"I'm not okay." 


This Is Where It Ends is deeply, darkly visceral and gripping. It takes you by the throat and tugs you downward into emotional compromise and utter panic.

It’s the start of a new semester at Opportunity High School in Alabama, and the entire student body is assembled in the auditorium, to listen to the start-of-semester speech from the principal. When the assembly ends, they figure out that the doors are closed and cannot be opened. Then, someone starts shooting.

The story is told from the perspective of four different people, all connected to each other and to the shooter. I found it to be a very emotional and personal book, a very fast read, because once I picked it up, I couldn’t put it down. ( I might have read it in 3 hours)

I think the thing that hit me the hardest about This Is Where It Ends is that skillful blend of tragedy and hope, darkness and light.

Because of that, I just couldn’t put the book down. I just needed to find out more about the characters and what would happen in the end. I do believe that the author could have given more background into the teens lives and then lead into the event. With that, I also think that the author could have told a little bit more about the shooter. At some moments in the story it felt like the shooter didn’t really have a reason to why he is doing it.

This book, however, is a journey that has you in the edge of your seat and praying for all the characters involved. 


You May Also Like

0 reacties