Review: The Book Thief ( NO spoilers)

by - oktober 23, 2018



Title: The Book thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Pages: 558
Date read: 17 October 2018
Format: Paperback

Set in Germany in the years 1939-1943, The Book Thief tells the story of Liesel, narrated by Death who has in his possession the book she wrote about these years. So, in a way, they are both book thieves. Liesel steals randomly at first, and later more methodically, but she's never greedy. Death pockets Liesel's notebook after she leaves it, forgotten in her grief, amongst the destruction that was once her street, her home, and carries it with him.

Liesel is effectively an orphan. She never knew her father, her mother disappears after delivering her to her new foster parents, and her younger brother died on the train to Molching where the foster parents live. Death first encounters nine-year-old Liesel when her brother dies, and hangs around long enough to watch her steal her first book, The Gravedigger's Handbook, left lying in the snow by her brother's grave.

I read this book for the first time in 2017 and I absolutely loved it! But since I started reading a bit more critical this year I decided to give it a reread and see what I think about it now. And it was just as beautiful as the first time! Let me explain you my thoughts.

First of all, the writing in this book is just beautiful. I can't even. I love the way this book is written. The choice to have it narrated by Death is quite an interesting one. The first time I read the book, it was a bit confusing to me at first, and it's the type of choice that could have become very gimmicky. Zusak made quite a risky decision there, but ultimately I think it was a great decision. Death's narration somehow manages to be not too overpowering; after all, most of the story is focused on Liesel. But it also is an important factor of the narration that doesn't get forgotten.

Now let’s talk about the characters. I could list every single character in the book and talking about how wonderful they are, and how the characterization of every single one of them is so amazing and wonderful, but I am afraid that this review would be way to long. Basically, the characters in this book are just phenomenal. 

Over all, the book just has such a powerful message and I recommend everyone to read it!


You May Also Like

0 reacties