review: The Bone Witch ( NO spoilers)

by - november 06, 2018



Title: The bone witch
Author: Rin Chupeco
Rating: ⭐⭐
Pages: 432
Date read: 24 October 2018
Format: Paperback


“if there is one thing people desire more than a good story she said, it is when they speak their own.”

Let’s start off with what this book is about.
Our heroine, Tea, lives in world full of witches. Her sisters are traditional witches, specializing in things like Forest and Water. Tea's power is unknown, but it turned out that she is a necromancer - one who can bring back the dead from the living, when she unwittingly wakes her dead brother from his coffin.

I loved the first third of this book. If that pace continued, this book would have got an easy five star rating. Unfortunately, the rest of this book felt like it would never end, and not in a good way. This book has very, very long descriptions. Sometimes I would be taken out of the plot, because it was so overwhelmingly descriptive. And don’t get me wrong I love it when the author describes things but this was just way too much.

Let’s start with the things I loved about this book.
First off, the concept of the story is amazing! It’s not something I read before. I loved the friendship between Tea and Fox. I looked forward to see the bond between them grow. Another thing that I loved about this book is that the story is told by Tea in the future. In between chapters you can see current Tea, much older, telling this tale to someone else. I wished that there were more of those chapters. These chapters had a really nice dark feeling what I absolutely loved! I found myself enjoying these chapters more  than the actual story. There is a pretty great magical system. I also love The fantastic hints of monsters.

“Sometimes it is good to remind ourselves how bitterness tastes.”

Now on to the thing that I didn’t like.
The lack of action. There were so many moments that nothing really happened. This got me very frustrated. With that Another negative thing about this book would probably be the potential for a love triangle. It felt like the author was forced to make one. It did not really fit in the story, at least that’s my opinion.
Also you get so many questions through the book and like none of them get answered. In the story they talk about a heart glass and there is like no one that tells you what this thing is… you kind have to figure it out yourself. ( okay this might have sounded a little bit harsh).

But overall  I think This book series has so much potential. so even though I didn’t really love this story I would still buy the second book. Just to see if we get some answers in that one.



You May Also Like

0 reacties